You know the times when you feel really burned out and tired, but you really need something to pick you up? I’m not gonna say go get some coffee and caffeine, but I will definitely provide some healthy tips that will help re-energize you to be more productive!
1. Nibble on something, sometimes we just need a pick-me-up snack to keep us going and focused. Below are some ideas that I think help:
- a handful of nuts and dried fruit
- half a pb & j
- a protein shake
- sunflower and pumpkin seeds**–> contain B vitamins, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium and iron, all of which help fight fatigue.
- Eggs–> contain energy-enhancing minerals like zinc, phosphorous and chromium.
- Yogurt-> quick digestions= fast energy, and a good source of B vitamins, which is another good reason to make yogurt your go-to food when you need an afternoon jump-start.
- Green Tea–>caffeine and antioxidants, green tea energizes and may also help to increase immunity and support weight loss.
- Oranges, grapefruit and tangerines–> are packed with super-nutrient, vitamin C, which enhances immunity, endurance and helps the body to absorb iron
2. Take a nap! There are times when we just can’t keep are eyes open, so take a quick nap-15-30 minutes, not too long or else you’ll feel more drowsy!
4. Go for a walk, sometimes walking around or getting the blood moving helps us think better and have more energy!
5. Yoga–> deep breathing and moves that make the blood flow will most definitely revitalize you.
6. End your shower on a cold note–>Cold showers are the best way to wake me up, if you don’t like them, take a normal one and end on a short cold burst!
7. Do interval exercising in the morning! It can be short or long, but it definitely revs up my energy when I’m finished
8. Dance to your favorite song–>dancing and getting up/moving around helps energy flow better through the body, try it!
And then, there is always coffee–>As a last resort, I will say coffee. Yes it helps, but sometimes people don’t like the taste, so that’s why it’s last on my list. Just make sure when you go to your favorite coffee-house that you find a smart choice. Often times, specialty drinks are loaded with unwanted calories and sugars. Your best bet is to go for “skinny” drinks and ask for non-fat and no-whip!
Hopefully these tips may come in handy next time you need a pick-me-up. I know it’s definitely hard for me to stay up late doing homework when it gets dark around 5 or 6 these days. As much as I love light mornings, day light savings time can make me feel so sluggish at night!
-What helps you stay awake?