Ever looking for something salty and crunchy, but you know those Doritos don’t really fit in your diet? I’ve got the perfect idea for you…make kale chips! I know you’re thinking ew, seriously-make a leaf into a chip? Believe me I had the same mind set before my friend introduced me to the them a few weeks ago…I know it sounds a bit crazy, but they actually taste really good. At first I tried the kind from the store, but then I realized why buy them when you can make them homemade for a cheaper price!? Kale costs $1-2 for a bound…that’s a lot more than you’ll find in the bag at the store. In addition to the price, you can also flavor them the way you want. Kale is a great source of Vitamins A, C(10x more vitamin C than spinach!), and K, calcium(more than milk!), potassium, iron, and antioxidants. Kale is also low in fat, calories, and carbs, you can’t go wrong now! Look below for the recipe & instructions I used:
Ingredients:-Kale, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (about 1 tbsp) , Garlic Seasoning/seasoned salt
optional: parmesan, cayenne pepper, chipotle seasoning, salt and vinegar (i love that combination on chips) anything your heart desires!
Instructions: Preheat oven to 350F
1. Make sure to wash and dry kale completely, use paper towels to blot the kale to dry faster.
2. Put Kale in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and mix around until you notice leaves are coated. Option two: put them in a bag and drizzle oil in it and shake it up!
3. Add seasonings to kale in the bowl and mix again, or in the bag if you chose that option!
4. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil & rip leaves into smaller pieces and place on the pan.
5. Pop pan in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
6. EAT UP, yum yum yum. It will be hard to not finish the whole thing in one sitting. 🙂
***if you wanna try a store brand, pick this up from the whole foods store (see right to see what they look like): RHYTHM KALE CHIPS: the flavors include zesty nacho, bombay curry, kool ranch, texas bbq, mango habanero. YUMYUM! I’ve tried the bombay curry and texas bbq, they’re awesome!
If you’ve made kale chips before, let me know how you make them or season them. I always love trying new recipes to change things up! 🙂
Stay motivated and positive, and make healthy choices…and things will fall into place.