What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you see the “brown bag?” OR as I like to associate with it: the sack lunch with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an unripe apple. It’s what we had to get in elementary school if we ever forgot to bring our sack lunch from the cafeteria. But if I ever managed to get a good apple, it was a pretty decent lunch! Many times when I would take my fist bite into the apple, it’d be my last. It had that blechy taste I like to call poison with green insides. I’m not sure why I equate it to that definition, but it definitely fit at the time.
Any who, do you ever “bag” your lunch? What do you think of bringing when you take you lunch to work or school? Even though I don’t have to bring my lunch to school and eat at home, I think I could pack my lunch easily if I had an ice pack in my lunch box!
Here are some easy to make and healthy lunch ideas that will fill you up and please your taste buds, some of these could use an ice pack if you have to wait a little while! All under 400 calories!
2. Turkey and Cheese wrap or Peanut butter and banana quesadilla on whole wheat tortillas (200/250 calories) Piece of fruit watermelon/apple/oranges(100 calories) Veggies and hummus dip (80 calories)
3. Strawberry and Cream cheese sandwich (200 calories, see ingredients below) light ‘n fit yogurt (80 calories) Pretzels (110 calories)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 slices very thin whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 medium strawberries, sliced
4. To-go Salad
- 2 cups lettuce
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- shredded cheese
- 3 oz grilled chicken prepared or black beans (protein!!)
- light dressing or yogurt blends bolt house dressing (300 calories-total)
- Piece of fruit (100 calories) –or put it in salad!**if you love salads like I do, there are some really neat containers to look for at the store that have different compartments for dressings and veggies and chicken 🙂
5. Fiesta Lunch!
- 1 cup bean salad and cheese (150-200 calories)
- fruit (80 calories)
- handful of whole grain tortilla chips with 2 tablespoons salsa (100 calories)
6. Pita Sandwich
- Whole Wheat pita with grilled chicken and veggies and shredded cheese (250 calories), vanilla yogurt (80 calories), dark chocolate (50 calories)
If you don’t have anytime to make these meals, most of Oscar Mayer’s new “lunch combinations” lunchables are typically under 400 calories, just make sure to look at the label! But I always think that making my lunches are more fun, what about you? If they have the option of whole wheat, look for it, it’s better for ya (: